Thursday, September 11, 2008

Commiseration, Please

posted by Kerry Blair


I threw myself into the Lard Off on Monday morning with total delight, dedication and optimism. I could really do it this time! I would do it! The first two days were a breeze. I exercised like Michael Phelps. (Except that I drank gallons of water rather than immersing myself in it.) I ate like Mary-Kate Olsen. I even picked up a few "good karma" points by begging/bullying Gary into joining us, and then a few more for setting up this blog.


Yesterday was a little harder. Who am I kidding? It was murder. I went to Chili's for lunch with a group who drank Coke and root beer and ordered fried chicken, creamy Alfredo, steak fajitas smothered with sour cream, and -- get this -- babyback ribs, loaded mashed potatoes and french fries. On the same plate. (I practically swooned.) I drank lemon-free water (who knows how many calories are packed into one of those lemon wedges?) and devoured a "Guilt-free Salmon Plate." I consisted of seared fish, uneasoned brocolli and carrots, and six or eight little black beans. 480 calories, total. I'm no restaurant critic, but let me warn you: when you finish this dish you're crunching down ice cubes and eyeing the napkin, wondering if paper is fat-free.


What I'm saying here, people, is that for the last three days I've eschewed temptation and consumed fewer calories than most people living in the ghettos of India.


So it was with a regretable lack of humility that I stepped on the scale this morning for the first time since Sunday, expecting to be a pound svelter. At least. (Okay, so I thought I would have lost five pounds.) Words for my self-congratulatory (and surely inspirational) blog were running through my head. So . . . are you ready for the results? Contrary to all the laws of dieting (and decency) as I know them, I have gained three pounds! I figure that at this rate, by the end of the Lard Off this will be me mowing my lawn.


I want commiseration. Consolation. Cheesecake.


I'll settle for your stories. Inspire me. Make me feel worse. Just tell me I'm not alone.

2 comments:

Tyler said...

A fluctuation in pounds like that probably is not a big deal. Plus lemon in water consumed throughout the day actually keeps the metabolism going which is a good thing! Once your body gets used to the change in caloric intake you should start to see a change for the better...but weirder stuff has happened in this world.

Serena Freewomyn said...

Tyler's right, Kerry. Lemon water is GREAT for loosing weight. Just don't make poor girl lemonade with it by adding the little packets of sweetener. ;^)